All you need to know about claiming tax relief for uniforms and small tools

August 7, 2018


Are you entitled to claim flat rate expenses tax relief on small tools or uniform?


Have you checked the standard amounts you could claim to cover clothing and tools?


Work-related expenses are a kind of tax relief you can gain if you spend money on equipment required for your job. You will have to select one of two options. You can claim a standard flat rate or you can claim for the actual cost. However, if you want to claim for the actual cost you will need to make sure you keep those VAT receipts safe! 


What can you claim tax relief on expenses for?

  • Small tools

  • Protective clothing needed for your work

  • Uniforms


Sadly, you can’t claim any tax relief for normal everyday clothing. We know, it’s a shame, but even if you do wear it for work, if it is standard clothing it is not eligible.


To qualify as uniform your clothing would need to be recognisable to a member of the public and easily identified as uniform. We are not just talking about the most obvious uniforms such as a policeman’s, nurse’s or fireman’s, in fact a uniform can be easily identified by something as simple as a logo on a piece of clothing.


Protective clothing also qualifies for tax relief. Such items do not need to be branded or bear a logo to be eligible, they simply need to be a required to perform the job.


Tradesmen could gain tax relief on:
  • Hi Vis clothing
  • Safety boots
  • Hard hat
  • Overalls
  • Electric drills
  • Hand planes
  • Spanners and screwdrivers


Whilst jobs in industries such as labour and construction are relatively clear on what attire qualifies for tax relief, other industries may not be. Let’s take a look at hairdressers for example, they could gain tax relief on:
  • Scissors
  • Clippers
  • Hairdryers
  • Combs
  • Tunics
  • Aprons


A full list of occupations which are eligible for tax relief can be found on the HRMC website. If your occupation is not listed, do not worry, you may still be able to claim in the form of standard tax relief. Standard tax relief is an allowance of £60 per year for the cost of upkeep and replacement of specialist or protective clothing.


If you want to find out more about what you could be eligible for or want PBT to show you how easy it can be to start claiming tax relief, get in touch with our expert team today.


Please reload

Our Recent Posts

Please reload

Vicki Summersby FMAAT is licensed and regulated by AAT under licence number 1002105

Louise Keevil FMAAT is licensed and regulated by AAT under licence number 231349 

Amelia Viner  FMAAT is licensed and regulated by AAT under licence number 10230381

AAT is recognised by HM Treasury to supervise compliance with the Money Laundering Regulations and PBT Accountancy Limited is supervised by AAT in this respect.

Copyright © 2018 PBT Accountancy Limited, All rights reserved

Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions